Follow Thresher Shark Divers
PADI IDC Prerequisites
To enroll in a PADI IDC or Assistant Instructor course, an individual must:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or equivalent
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement for a diving medical examination conducted within the past 12 months.
- Have been a certified diver for at least six months
- Have completed and logged at least 60 open water scuba dives
Note: To attend an IE, the instructor candidate must have at least 100 logged dives
- Have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation diving.
- Submit proof of CPR and first aid training within the last 24 months.
Note: to become an PADI OWSI Instructor you need to be an EFR Instructor.
- Submit documentation of any qualifying certification for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership-level issued by another recreational diver training organization. (PADI certifications do not need to resubmit.)
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- If you are lacking in any of these areas, we can help you make it up during your internship.
- Independent Learning Prerequisite: Completion of all independent learning Knowledge Reviews in advance.
- Contact us for equivalency standards from other agencies.
PADI IDC Equipment Requirements
Instructor candidates must have the following equipment:
- Fins, mask, snorkel
- Buoyancy control device with low pressure inflator
- Regulator with alternate air source and submersible pressure gauge
- Timing device, depth gauge and compass
- Knife/diver’s tool
- Slate and dive table
- Two surface signaling devices
- one audible (whistle, air horn, etc.)
- one visual (inflatable surface tube, flare, signal mirror, etc.)
- Weight belts, weights and tanks (provided)
- Pocket mask
It is possible to rent basic equipment from us (mask, snorkel, fins, BCD, regulator, wetsuit, weights and tank). However, if you wish to work as an instructor you will need your own set of equipment to secure a job. We offer discounted prices on gear and advice from our knowledgeable staff about what is best for you. A full set of equipment is included in many diving internship packages.